Events & Announcements
Top 17 Moments of 2017 at IDEA Public Schools
We had another amazing year at IDEA Public Schools. We are so proud of these accomplishments, and we know none of it would be possible without the hard work, dedication, and commitment of our Team & Family.
Here are some of our favorite moments and accomplishments of 2017. Take a look at just some of the feats we’ve accomplished together. We can’t wait to see what 2018 holds!
- Our Pre-K scholars continue to show strong results, and our interim assessment data indicates another stellar year of testing achievement come this Spring.
- 79% of IDEA 1st and 2nd graders finished the 2018-2019 school year reading on or above grade level in Reading, Math, and Language!
- 3,128 IDEA scholars were named IDEA Royal Readers for reading at least 1 million words, in addition to scoring at least an 85 percent on all Accelerated Reader (AR) quizzes.
- 24% of the class of 2017 became AP scholars. That means they passed three or more AP exams. In total, IDEA scholars took more than 10,000 AP tests.
- Our Healthy Kids Here initiative took another step forward in the mission to become the healthiest school district in America.
- IDEA led the way for public charter schools in Texas in CHILDREN AT RISK’s annual School Food Rankings. This study measured and evaluated how districts across Texas provide meals to students by focusing on meal participation rates and after-school meal programs.
- We announced the launch of IDEA-U, an online, flexible, supportive, and affordable college option designed to support IDEA alumni so they ca attain their bachelor’s degree.
- We earned three As and one B on the Texas Education Agency’s new A-F accountability rating system.
- IDEA successfully launched five new campuses for the 2017-2018 school year, serving more than 2,700 students.
- IDEA celebrated the upcoming launch of 8 schools in El Paso and Southern Louisiana with two groundbreaking events.
- IDEA opened the doors to the David Robinson Museum at IDEA Carver College Preparatory, a tribute to our friend, supporter, and board member, David Robinson. The museum was developed to honor Robinson, commemorate his impact and contributions to education, and celebrate his personal and professional success in the NBA, U.S. Navy, and the Olympics.
- IDEA Public Schools was awarded more than $85 million in grants by the Department of Education to support college matriculation, growth, and expansion.
- We were recognized on the College Board’s 8th Annual AP® District Honor Roll for significant gains in student access and success.
- Stanford University’s Center for Research on Education Outcomes (CREDO) released a report that identifies IDEA Public Schools as one of the highest performing public school networks in the country, delivering the equivalent of 80 extra days in math and 74 days in reading instruction per year.
- The Washington Post ranked 5 IDEA high schools in the Top 25 Most Challenging in the Nation: IDEA Frontier – 6th in the nation, IDEA San Juan – 10th in the nation, IDEA Mission – 12th in the nation, IDEA San Benito – 13th in the nation, IDEA Quest – 21st in the nation, and IDEA Donna – 90th in the nation.
- 11 IDEA schools received all eligible distinctions by the Texas Education Agency. All eligible IDEA schools met standard on state accountability ratings, and 93% of IDEA campuses received distinction designations
- For the 11th straight year, we celebrated 100% college acceptance, and 99.85% of our 2017 graduating seniors matriculated to college this fall.
We’ve achieved these impressive results together. We can’t wait to see what 2018 holds! Our commitment to closing the achievement gap and sending kids to college is as strong as ever. Learn more about IDEA Public Schools on our website and join our Team & Family for the 2018-2019 school year.