Attention parents! Our student application for the 2018-19 school year is now live!
IDEA is a family of tuition-free public charter schools committed to seeing each child to and through college. We achieve our record of 100% college acceptance through a focus on personalized learning, core subjects, critical thinking and college preparedness. IDEA’s expert teachers partner with students and families every step of the way to ensure students are prepared for success in college and life. Our approach is different – and it works!
Join our family today!
How The Process Works
1. If you’re interested in enrolling at IDEA Public Schools for the 2018-19 school year, please complete a student application between September 1, 2017 and January 26, 2018 at http://www.ideapublicschools.o...
2. From there, a random lottery will be held on Saturday, January 27, 2017 to determine which students will fill spots available at each IDEA school.
3. If randomly selected, you will be notified and invited to attend a “Welcome to IDEA” event. Here, we celebrate your acceptance to IDEA and orient you to IDEA's culture, curriculum and expectations. Additionally, you will attend testing and registration events to officially enroll at IDEA Public Schools.
4. Students not randomly selected will be placed on a wait list. The applications of students on the wait list will remain on file the remainder of the 2017-2018 school year. The order of the wait list will be randomly determined.
5. Students are selected from the wait list if a spot becomes available at an IDEA school. We will notify you if your child is randomly selected from the wait list.
Curious to learn more about IDEA? Here are some Frequently Asked Questions About IDEA Public Schools:
What makes IDEA unique?
o IDEA believes there are no limitations on a child’s ability to succeed in college and life. We know that every child is capable of success in college, career and life and we go the extra mile to help them succeed.
o IDEA helps children blossom into tomorrow’s leader, critical thinker, and change-maker by focusing on the whole child. Our students are given the tools to succeed personally and academically and 100% of them graduate from high school and go to college.
IDEA Public Schools is a charter school. What is a charter school?
o Charter schools are public schools that are allowed the freedom to be more innovative while being held accountable for advancing student achievement. Because they are public schools, they are open to all children, do not charge tuition, and do not have special entrance requirements.
Does IDEA offer extracurricular opportunities for students?
o IDEA students are introduced to a robust assortment of extracurricular activities. IDEA athletic programs include basketball, baseball, cross country, cheerleading, flag football, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, and track and field, among others. IDEA students continue to excel in extracurricular opportunities, with state championships in track and field (IDEA Quest and IDEA Allan), flag football (IDEA Donna), soccer (IDEA McAllen), and baseball (IDEA South Flores).
o In addition to a thriving sports scene, IDEA also offers a variety of clubs, which span many student interests - art, chess, cooking, dance, community service, farm and garden, languages, music, photography, politics, yearbooks, and much more.
Why does IDEA offer only certain grade levels when opening a campus?
o IDEA typically opens grades Pre-K-1 and 6 at a new campus, and gradually increases grade levels offered year-by-year. The rationale is to build a student body over time that grows in conjunction with the campus itself.
Does IDEA require students to take an entrance exam or placement tests to be considered for the lottery?
o IDEA’s admission process includes an application and random lottery selection. Prospective students are not required to take an entrance exam to be considered for the lottery.